I’m back! I have been traveling a bit for work which means little time for cooking. I don’t know about you but I never eat as healthy when I’m traveling vs. cooking at home. The meeting I was at had endless amounts of chips, candy, and cookies. Luckily, there was fruit available too but of course I had a few treats.
During the week, I did have a chance to make Chicken Parmesan Burgers.
I love chicken parm but since it’s not the healthiest meal, I decided to recreate it into a burger. It turned out great and I didn’t even miss the fried chicken. For me, it’s all about the marinara sauce and cheese anyway!
This is a great meal for a weeknight because it’s quick to prepare. I served the burger with a garden salad and the meal was filing and flavorful! (I had a burger leftover from the recipe so I froze it for another easy dinner.)
Chicken Parmesan Burgers
1/2 lb. ground chicken breast
1/4 c. shredded parmesan cheese
1 tsp. ground oregano
1 Tbsp. fresh chopped basil
1 tsp. butter
1/2 c. marinara sauce
1/2 c. low fat shredded mozzarella cheese
2 whole grain burger buns
1. Combine ground chicken, egg, parmesan cheese, oregano and basil.
2. Create two burgers and set aside.
3. Melt butter in a grill pan over medium heat.
4. When butter is melted, add burgers to pan. Using a spatula, flip the burgers after about 5 minutes.
5. Continue cooking burgers until they are browned and no longer pink.
6. Preheat the oven at 350*.
7. Transfer burgers to a piece of foil set on a baking sheet. Top each burger with a 1/4 c. marinara sauce and a 1/4 c. shredded mozzarella.
8. Heat the burgers for 5 minutes. Next, set the oven to the broil function and broil until cheese is lightly browned.
9. Add burgers to bun bottoms and top with bun tops. Serve immediately!