Stuffed peppers are a meal that is very versatile and can be extremely healthy. I usually make mine with a mixture of lean ground turkey and vegetables or vegetables alone. This recipe comes from some of the items I had on hand from earlier in the week (black beans, salsa, sour cream, spinach). It turned out well and was very tasty.
Summer Stuffed Peppers
2 large red peppers
1 medium zucchini, sliced into rounds and quartered
1 c. raw spinach leaves
2/3 c. black beans, cooked and drained (canned is fine)
1/3 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1/3 c. salsa
2 Tbsp. light sour cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350*
- Rinse peppers and cut off the tops.
- Remove seeds and white flesh inside peppers; set prepared peppers inside a small baking dish and set aside.
- Coat small sauté pan with cooking spray, add spinach and cook for two minutes on medium heat.
- Add chopped zucchini, black beans, salsa and cheese to spinach; mix well.
- Divide equal amounts of the mixture into each of the two peppers.
- Cover with aluminum foil and cook for 40 minutes.
- Top with a tablespoon of light sour cream (optional).
Estimated calories: 325 (with sour cream)